Articles

Wednesday

Steampunk Gun Chronicles. Part 1: Supplies and Progress

I went to Goodwill and gathered some of the basic pieces.

Here you see I already begun progress with this.

 Shown:
-1 Hair Dryer - From Goodwill for about $5
-1 Dollar Store Nerf Gun -Gift, but I'm guessing around a dollar :P
-2 Candle Holders/Napkin Holders - $6 from Goodwill
-1 Small Pot - $2 from Goodwill
-1 Spray Paint Can (Metallic Gold) - Found in garage
-1 Spackle Thing - Garage
-Misc stuff I refer to as the 'gizmos and gadgets' in the case. lol

Not Shown:
-2 Spray Cans (Shiny Gold and Oil-Rubbed Bronze) - Garage
-2 Cans of Paint (Red and Black) - Garage
-1 Painting Tape Roll - Home Depot for about $5
-1 Krazy Glue Stick - $5 from Gas Station
-Various 'gizmos and gadgets'. Pieces of old mechanical equiptment
    --Lightbulbs, measurer, screws, bolts, buttons, springs   --- All found in garage.

 First, I took the hair dryer and cut off the cord. Then unscrewed (when that didn't work, hit with hammer) the mouth of the dryer. When pried open, I pulled out the inner spring coil, cardboard, and electrical equipment. (This probably wasn't the safest thing, but whatever x3). When it was all clear, I took it completely apart and spray painted the entire thing in the Metallic Gold color. After waiting for a while, I screwed and superglued the pieces back together.

Next, I noticed that the buttons on the hairdryer did not look very gun-like, so I sawed that off with a very sharp kitchen knife I have. (The garage was too cold and I didn't feel like searching for some dull saw. Again, not the safest thing, so I made sure to saw away from my fingers..) Alright, so then I found that off-brand Nerf gun and sawed off (again with the knife) the trigger end. I then spray painted that with the Metallic Gold Color.

Then, once dry, I connected one of the candle/napkin holders to the dryer. (Today I decided to use the longer one, so don't copy this if you want my final product.)

Finally, I spackled and superglued the trigger part of the Not-Nerf gun to the Dryer. I also spackled the screw holes shut.



Once dry and smoothly spray painted:



 I also need to name this sucker...I'll make a poll maybe

2 comments:

  1. very cool!!
    I hope you're not spray painting this in your house though the chemicals are very bad for you
    also I see your kitchen floor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Windows are open.
    I can't do it outside, the spray can and I will freeze.

    ReplyDelete